WVMTR Race Preparedness and Safety Planning Guide
The WVMTR Board of Directors has adopted a Preparedness and Safety Planning Guide for hosting club sponsored races and events. The Board defines a set of criteria in determining if a race or event will occur as scheduled. When races or events are held, the Board adopted a set of standards to mitigate the spread of COVID-19. The WVMTR Event Waiver also has been updated to include language specific to COVID-19.
COVID-19 Metric for Holding WVMTR Events
- The event will only proceed if the existing WVMTR race director primarily desires to proceed with the event direction entrusted to them by the WVMTR Board of Directors.
- As a measure of protection for our running community and to further mitigate COVID spread within our communities, we have instituted our own metric to determine if races will occur based upon the following metric and procedure. We will measure the reported COVID-19 cases per 100k population (from the CDC) over a 7-day moving average, 4-weeks prior to scheduled race day.
- The data presented by the CDC, 28-days before the scheduled race day, must be equal to or less than 20 cases per 100K of WV population to hold a scheduled WVMTR event. Should the case load be greater than 20 cases per 100K, the scheduled event will be cancelled. The event may be postponed at the discretion of the race director.
- We will follow WV state guidelines for outdoor sporting events.
- Until further notice, any races that meet criteria to proceed must have a COVID mitigation plan presented to the WVMTR Board of Directors that must include, but is not limited to:
- Masks or face covering for all participants at the start and finish
- Participants must wear masks or face covering when passing other runners on trails, and when entering aid stations
- No congregating at the start or finish
- Masks or face covering for volunteers at aid stations
- No congregating celebration/awards ceremony at the finish
- No indoor activities for participants
- Strict participation limits
- Hand sanitizer available at all aid stations
- Self-serve aid stations with prepackaged food options
- Process entries on a “wait list” status until 4-weeks prior to race day before accepting funds from participants.
- Mandatory for runners to self-report to the race director any new onset COVID-like symptoms (fever, cough, loss of taste/smell, etc.) and/or exposure. Full refund will be given to runners who self-report prior to or on race day.
Club supported fun run guidelines:
- All participants must complete the updated waiver with the communicable disease exclusion.
- Limit participants to 50.
- Participants and organizer/s must follow the club COVID mitigation plan (above).
Our objective continues to be to mitigate the spread of COVID-19 among our family of members, volunteers, race participants, everyone’s families, and the community at large. Our policies are informed by the state and federal guidelines put forth by the WV DHHR and CDC. Please stay up-to-date by visiting their websites for more information.
The goal of the WVMTR is to encourage running and the healthy, positive qualities that running encompasses. We contend that the act of running itself is still a safe activity. We encourage you to maintain a healthy active lifestyle by continuing to run, but please follow the federal and state guidelines on maintaining a social distance of at least six feet from others, and be sure to wash your hands regularly. For more suggestions on running etiquette, we found this RRCA article to be helpful.
See you on the trail,
WVMTR Board of Directors and Race Directors